Current:Home > Finance11-year-old charged after police say suspicious device brought on school bus in Maine -Elevate Capital Network
11-year-old charged after police say suspicious device brought on school bus in Maine
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:31:46
NEW GLOUCESTER, Maine (AP) — An 11-year-old boy has been accused of making a threat after police found what they described as a suspicious device in his home that had been brought onto a school bus in Maine.
The bus driver stopped the bus and evacuated it Thursday afternoon in New Gloucester, the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release. There were about 15 middle and high school students on board.
Several police agencies responded, including the Maine State Police Bomb Squad with a bomb detection dog.
It eventually was determined that there was no longer a potential threat to the public, students or the school district, the sheriff’s office said. The child and the device were later found at his home.
“Investigators determined that it was not an explosive device,” the statement said, without providing further information. A message seeking comment was left with the office Friday.
The child, a sixth-grade student, was charged with terrorizing and released to his parents’ custody. The punishment if convicted can range from less than a year to up to five years in jail, and a fine.
veryGood! (64)
Related
- Olympic women's basketball bracket: Schedule, results, Team USA's path to gold
- Cybersecurity ‘issue’ prompts computer shutdowns at MGM Resorts properties across US
- Aerosmith postpones shows after frontman Steven Tyler suffers vocal cord damage
- Explosion at ADM plant in Decatur, Illinois, hurts several workers
- Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Daughter Ava Hunt Hospitalized After Falling Down a Mountain
- Man convicted of murder in 1993 gets new trial after key evidence called into question
- Spectrum TV users get ESPN, Disney channels back ahead of 'Monday Night Football' debut
- Cybersecurity ‘issue’ prompts computer shutdowns at MGM Resorts properties across US
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Bryce Young's rough NFL debut for Panthers is no reason to panic about the No. 1 pick
Ranking
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Country singer-songwriter Charlie Robison dies in Texas at age 59 from cardiac arrest
- Writers Guild of America Slams Drew Barrymore for Talk Show Return Amid Strike
- Lighthouse walkway collapses during Maine Open Lighthouse Day, injuring 11
- Residents in Alaska capital clean up swamped homes after an ice dam burst and unleashed a flood
- Spicy food challenges have a long history. Have they become too extreme?
- United States takes on Google in biggest tech monopoly trial of 21st century
- Writers Guild of America Slams Drew Barrymore for Talk Show Return Amid Strike
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
India and Saudi Arabia agree to expand economic and security ties after the G20 summit
What causes an earthquake? Here are the different types of earthquakes, and why they occur
Elon Musk announces third child with Grimes, reveals baby's unique name
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Aerosmith postpones shows after frontman Steven Tyler suffers vocal cord damage
JoJo Siwa Defends Influencer Everleigh LaBrant After “Like Taylor Swift” Song Controversy
When does 'Welcome to Wrexham' Season 2 come out? Release date, trailer, how to watch